2.2 lbs lean ground beef (90% lean)
1/2 cup (61 g) finely chopped white onion
1 sleeve (100 g) of Glutino Gluten-free original table crackers*
1 cup ketchup (I use ALDI's organic)
5 tsp. yellow prepared mustard
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Smash crackers until no pieces remain larger than a pea. I place them in a quart size freezer Ziplock baggie and used a meat mallet, but a rolling pin works well too.
3. Set aside 1/4 cup ketchup to be used as topping later. Mix all other ingredients together thoroughly. I use my hands as I find it's the fastest way to incorporate the ingredients evenly.
4. Press into baking pan (I used a 2 quart rectangle Pyrex baking pan).
5. Bake 30 minutes. Drizzle reserved 1/4 cup ketchup over top (or more if you'd like). Bake 10 more minutes or until meat is cooked to a safe internal temperature.
*These are dairy and egg free at the time of my purchasing them, but always read labels to ensure products haven't changed ingredients or don't contain allergens.
I have never thought to add mustard to meatloaf before, as I'm not a huge fan of mustard in most recipes, but the small amount here is really what set this recipe apart from the many other variations I've made of eggless gluten-free meatloaf. Even if you aren't a mustard fan, I'd encourage you to try it as written the first time. After that- feel free to mix things up to your liking! Adding the 1/4 ketchup topping even earlier can allow it to sweeten more as it bakes if that's your thing- otherwise a quick broil can lead to a nice presentation, but watch it carefully so it doesn't burn or dry out if you do use broil for the last few minutes of baking time.