It tastes like berry cobbler & banana bread all at once.... delish!
I adapted this recipe for Berry Bliss Oat Squares from the amazing Oh She Glows blog to suit what I had in my cupboards:
3 c. GF oats, divided
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 c + 3 T. (6 oz) unsweetened applesauce (I used blueberry- YUM)
1/4 c + 2 T. agave or maple syrup
5 T. water (use 6 T if you used maple syrup)
1 tsp vanilla
1 c frozen* berry blend (mine had blueberry, raspberry & blackberry)
1 c frozen* sliced strawberries
1 overripe banana, sliced (frozen is okay)
1/4 c sugar
1/2 tsp. almond extract
2 1/2 T. cornstarch
2 1/2 T. warm water
* You can use fresh berries, just reduce the cornstarch & water to only 2 T. each.
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut parchment paper to line an 8x8" square baking pan.
2. For filling: Place berries, banana and sugar in saucepan on low. Mix together cornstarch & water and set aside.
3. For dough: In food processor, bled 1 1/2 c GF oats, baking powder, salt and cinnamon until oats have turned to a flour. Dump into a bowl and set aside.
4. Filling: When fruit mixture is boiling, take off heat & stir in cornstarch and water mixture thoroughly. Stir in almond extract and set aside.
5. Dough: Mix in remaining 1 1/2 c GF oats. Then add applesauce, agave (or maple syrup), water & vanilla.
6. Press 2/3 of dough into pan. Spread fruit filling over top. Drop remaining dough in small globs over top of fruit filling. Bake 30 minutes and cool 20 min. before cutting. (Hint: It cools faster if you set it outside on a MN winter day like I did.)